While there are many types of cancer, there are common challenges, concerns and issues many survivors face.
In the 12-week Survivorship 101 Class for All Cancers group, men and women who have experienced any type of cancer learn ways to become as healthy as possible and practice a variety relaxation and coping techniques. Family/Friend Caregivers are welcome to register for the Survivorship 101 Class for Caregivers.
12-week Survivorship 101 Class for All Cancers
This class is designed to address the many issues survivors of any type of cancer often face. It offers guidance, education and support for anyone diagnosed with any type of cancer, at any stage. Cancer can threaten our understanding of ourselves and who we are. It threatens our mental stability with frightening thoughts, anxiety and depression. It chips away at our independence.
Your strength has shown brightly as you have survived all of this. Now it’s time to begin the next phase of recovery. During the class sessions, you will discuss and learn about many topics common to many cancer survivors, male or female, young or old. You will sit among others who have been on the same journey and understand what you are going through.
The class is designed for survivors of any type of cancer. It is open to men or women diagnosed with any type of cancer. Each participant is welcome and encouraged to bring a caregiving family member or friend to participate, but you’re very welcome to come by yourself.
What Does the Progam Involve?
- Groups meet for about 2 1/2 hours a week for 12 weeks.
- Each week begins with gentle stretching designed to promote flexibility, clearer thinking, and physical strength.
- Weekly education will explore topics such as nutrition, supplements, coping, anxiety and depression, relationships, exercise, spirituality, sexual functioning, happiness,relaxation, and mental attitude.
- The group discussion then explores the information further, identifying ways to incorporate this knowledge into daily life.
- During weekly “power tool” demonstrations participants learn and practice specific coping techniques to help manage anxiety and promote healing.
- Each week ends with journaling, affirmations and positive intentions.
What Is Expected of Me?
- Regular attendance is essential to get the full benefit of the program. Enroll when you feel able to attend most of the sessions.
- You’ll be asked to complete surveys so that the facilitator can evaluate whether the program is meeting its goals. This information helps us continually evaluate and improve the programming.
- You are free to end participation at any time.
Who Can Participate?
It is open to men or women diagnosed with any type of cancer. Each participant is welcome to bring a caregiver (family member or friend) to participate. If you have completed the majority of your treatment and your health is stable enough, we invite you to enroll. If you have recurrent or metastatic disease, you are also welcome to attend if your health permits. So whether you were diagnosed one year ago or fifteen years ago, if you feel you could benefit from this support, we invite you to enroll.
What Does It Cost?
A Time to Heal is FREE to participants thanks to generous support from our sponsors and benefactors. The only cost to you is your time and commitment. Give this gift to yourself, contact us today. For more information on dates and locations or to register, please click here.